The Cree School Board’s Sabtuan Adult Education Services in Eastmain worked hard throughout 2016-2017 to accommodate the needs and goals of all students that walked through their doors.
Students were enrolled in the following courses through Eastmain’s General Education Program:
- First Cycle Secondary
- Post-Secondary Studies Preparation
- Second Cycle Secondary
- Pedagogical Support
Key initiatives included:
- Improving communication: Every student was given the teacher’s cell phone number, allowing them to ask class-related questions outside of regular course hours.
- Sharing knowledge: Eastmain instituted a successful math tutoring program that gave lower-level students an opportunity to be taught and mentored by graduates of programs offered through Sabtuan Adult Education Services.
- Working with employers and community stakeholders: We collaborated with the Wellness Centre to allow an employee paid hours off work to attend classes. Making sure students can achieve educational goals while still supporting their families is a priority for the Cree School Board.
- Promoting SAES: The Eastmain community was once again invited to graduation ceremonies. This is a great opportunity to honour graduates as well as to promote Sabtuan Adult Education Services to potential students.